Home        deutsch  |  english

Deutsche Limeskommission

Deutsche Limeskommission

58. Eining Fort

Neustadt a.d. Donau, Eining Area, Landkreis Kelheim

Neustadt a.d. Donau, Eining Area, Landkreis Kelheim. General view of the site of the two forts on both sites of the village of Eining. Picture down - Preserved ruins of the fort Eining and site of surrounding VICUS.

Garrison of various military units (including the Cohors IV Tungrorum and the Cohors III Britannorum) between 80 AD and the middle of the 5th century. Extensive excavations by the State Office for Monument Conservation between 1878 and 1920 (Reinecke) uncovered the remains of the defence installation, which was used for almost 400 years. The extent of the vicus is known from aerial photography finds, excavations, and find reports from preceding decades.

At the Roman fort location Abusina, a timber/earth fort, oriented to the north, was first constructed, which was built up in stone after the middle of the 2nd century and re-oriented towards the east. The fort area is 1.8 ha (147 x 125m). The gate installations in the north, east and south were built as double passageways. In late antiquity, an inner fortification around 40 x 40 m was added in the south-west corner of the fort.

The area of the archaeological monument lies some 500 m to the south of the edge of the village of Eining, close to the slope of the terraces over the Abens stream in the “Auf der Burg” area. The fort lies, fenced in, within an archaeological park area. The ground plans of the parameter walls and the most important internal stone buildings have been preserved or restored. Separated by the course of the present-day State highway between Neustadt and Eining, the remains of an extensive vicus extend in the agriculturally used areas, to the north partly as far as the south edge of the modern village, as well as to the east and south. In the south, supply channels (gas pipeline and two free cables for high-voltage electricity) pass next to the site, while parts of the monument are threatened by further extension of the village, expansion of the highway and various field paths, as well as by hop cultivation.

In the Unterfeld area to the east of the centre of Eining, the remains of an 11 ha military camp exist, which was oriented towards the Danube.  It may have been a supply camp for the Legio III Italica that was stationed there for a short period during the Marcomanni wars around the year 175 AD. Excavations (Schönberger) and aerial photography finds show a camp area of 380 x 340 m, surrounded by two V-shaped ditches and a turf wall, the internal buildings of which consisted principally of timber/earth buildings. The parameter walls are perceptible to the east of the highway as a sunken path up to 2 m deep and on the south-east side as a field path adjacent to the outside leading a further c. 250 m. Nothing is so far known of a vicus.

 

Lect picture - View inside the fort Eining. Right picture Site of the fort Eining-Unterfeld.

Geschäftsstelle der Deutschen Limeskommission  -  Am Römerkastell 1  -  D-61350 Bad Homburg v.d.H.  -  Tel. 06175-937434  -  Fax 06175-937411  - info(at)deutsche-limeskommission.de

made by PictoGraphica