Home        deutsch  |  english

Deutsche Limeskommission

Deutsche Limeskommission

21. Ober-Florstadt Fort

Florstadt Local Authority, Ober-Florstadt Area, Wetteraukreis

Florstadt Local Authority, Ober-Florstadt Area, Wetteraukreis. Site of the fort and the VICUS in front of the modern village. View from the south. Picture down - Site of the fort.

The Cohors XXXII voluntarium civium Romanorum was stationed in the 2.8 ha (183 m x 155 m) stone fort. The fort may have been erected as early as 100 AD. It possessed a rectangular ground plan and four gates, and was surrounded by two ditches. Aerial photographs show within the area of the fort, an earlier large fort with an area of about 1.0 ha and a rectangular defence wall of timber and earth. It was surrounded by one ditch. Only one gate is known It was built towards the end of the reign of the emperor Domitian (81 - 96 AD). The camp village extended on all sides, particularly to the north-west and the north-east. Numerous stone buildings, including the baths, were situated in front of the main wall of the fort in the north-east. This area was surrounded by at least one ditch, which began at the outer fort ditch. At the edge of the camp village, a shrine to the god Mithras was discovered. A ditch, which ran in front of the rear wall of the stone fort at a distance of almost 80 m, became known from aerial photographs. It shows an interval for a gate. It is probably a remnant of a large military camp from before the time of the Limes.

Excavations in 1886 led to proof of the existence of the fort. The baths were also investigated at that time. The Mithras shrine was excavated in 1888. The only excavations of the Reichs-Limeskommission at the fort were carried out in 1893. It was not until building began to take place on some parts of the camp village, from 1974, that small investigations were carried out within the framework of the building projects. Our knowledge of the fort location has only been substantially increased by the aerial photography of recent years.

The remains of the fort and the camp village are situated in fields and meadows. Only the north-east corner lies under the neighbouring residential buildings. Large parts of the camp village have been built over.  There is no longer anything of the fort and the camp village to be seen. 

 

Geschäftsstelle der Deutschen Limeskommission  -  Am Römerkastell 1  -  D-61350 Bad Homburg v.d.H.  -  Tel. 06175-937434  -  Fax 06175-937411  - info(at)deutsche-limeskommission.de

made by PictoGraphica