Home        deutsch  |  english

Deutsche Limeskommission

Deutsche Limeskommission

25. Gross-Krotzenburg Fort

Gross- Krotzenburg Local Authority, Main-Kinzig-Kreis

Gross Krotzenburg Local Authority, Main-Kinzig-Kreis. Wall of the southern gates of the fort near the modern church. Picture down - Preserved tower of the south-west corner of the fort.

Garrison of the Cohors IIII Vindelicorum in a stone fort, with an area of 2.2 ha (175 m x 123 m), which was probably built between 105 and 110 AD. It possessed a rectangular ground plan, four gates, corner towers and intermediate towers, and was surrounded by two ditches. Of the internal buildings, remains of the principia are known. There was probably an older, smaller predecessor fort. The camp village extended to north, but particularly to the west. The baths were discovered to the west of the rear gate. North-west of the fort, a shrine to the god Mithras was found at the edge of the camp village, in the neighbourhood of a burial ground. A station of the beneficiarii was situated not far from the Roman bridge over the Main. The camp village had particular significance as the location of a brickyard which was operated by the occupants of the fort. Bricks that were produced here were found on the Limes as far away as Niederbieber and Walldürn.

The first excavation in 1881 demonstrated the existence of the fort. The Reichs-Limeskommission conducted excavations in 1893. The excavation in 1982 and 1983 in the region of the brick kiln was one of many important small investigations within the framework of building projects.

Fort and camp village have been built over. Only in the south-western part of the fort area is there a larger uncovered area.

The stone fort has become the kernel of the town of Grosskrotzenburg. The street axes of the fort still shapes the centre of the town today. The Sackgasse marks the course of the Via praetoria, Kirchstrasse runs over the via principalis and Breite Strasse over the via decumana. Parts of the defence wall of the fort are visible. Remains of the south wall to the west of the church rise perhaps even more than 1.5 m from the ground in the region of the property 22, Nebenstrasse. The south-west corner, with the lower part of the corner tower, has also been preserved. Of the western tower of the south gate, a block of the wall 0.5 m high rises from the stone surround of the green are in front of the church. Both side gates and the rear gate are made recognisable on the ground as far as possible with basalt plaster.

 

Geschäftsstelle der Deutschen Limeskommission  -  Am Römerkastell 1  -  D-61350 Bad Homburg v.d.H.  -  Tel. 06175-937434  -  Fax 06175-937411  - info(at)deutsche-limeskommission.de

made by PictoGraphica