Home        deutsch  |  english

Deutsche Limeskommission

Deutsche Limeskommission

14. Kapersburg Fort

Rosbach v. d. Höhe City, Ober-Rosbach Borough, Wetteraukreis

Rosbach v. d. Höhe City, Ober-Rosbach Borough, Wetteraukreis. Preserved western gate of the fort Kapersburg. Picture down - Fort Kapersburg, preserved walls at the east side.

Garrison of the Numerus Nidensium, which lay in a stone fort with an area of 1.6 ha (134 m x 122 m). The installation, which was probably built towards the end of the 2nd century, had a rectangular ground plan, four gates, and was surrounded by a ditch. Of the internal buildings, we know the principia, the Horreum, a troop barracks and the foundations of further stone buildings. The fort had two predecessors which stood at the same location and were smaller. At the end of the 1st century, a fort was built with a defence wall of timber and earth, of an area of 0.8 ha, which was replaced by a stone fort with an area of 1.3 ha during the first half or in the middle of the 2nd century. The camp village extended on all sides, but particularly to the east. Traces of settlement were found more than 300 m in front of the fort. A burial ground has also been found here. It is not known how far the settlement reached to the north and the south. The only building of the camp village which is known is the baths, between the fort and the Limes.

The first excavations took place in 1878 and 1879. The Reichs-Limeskommission carried out extensive excavations in 1896 and 1897, as well as in 1901 and 1905. The excavations were then continued under different leadership in the years 1906 to 1914, and the stonework uncovered was then preserved.

The fort is excellently preserved in the forest. The defence wall is visible all round. On the west and east sides, the surrounding wall and the gates have been preserved. At these points, the ditch has also been excavated. Further preserved and visible stone walls are the standards shrine with two neighbouring spaces, the storage building, and the foundations of buildings whose function is unclear. Outside the fort, the preserved foundation walls of the baths can be seen.

 

Geschäftsstelle der Deutschen Limeskommission  -  Am Römerkastell 1  -  D-61350 Bad Homburg v.d.H.  -  Tel. 06175-937434  -  Fax 06175-937411  - info(at)deutsche-limeskommission.de

made by PictoGraphica