Home        deutsch  |  english

Deutsche Limeskommission

Deutsche Limeskommission

1. Fort Heddesdorf

Neuwied City, Heddesdorf Area, Kreis Neuwied

Site of the fort at Heddesdorf, a quarter of Neuwied

Garrison of the Cohors II Hispanorum and later the Cohors XXVI voluntariorum civium Romanorum between the end of the 1st and the end of the 2nd century. In 1898, with the help of site observations and excavation trenches in the areas which had not yet been built over, Bodewig was able to determine the ground plan of the fort with some degree of certainty. During extension works on the school in 1965, some parts of the baths were again opened up and were documented.

The stone fort, with an area of 2.8 ha, has an almost rectangular ground plan of c. 160 m x 180 m and was surrounded by an 8 m wide ditch. The excavation finds indicated gate towers, corner towers, and two intermediate towers along each of the sides. Apart from a few sections of masonry wall, nothing significant is known of the internal buildings.

The area of the archaeological monument lies today within the city of Neuwied and parts have been largely destroyed by newer, relatively dense building in the form of apartment buildings with inner courtyards and gardens, and streets. No remains of the fort are visible above ground. The present-day Geschwister-Scholl-Strasse (formerly Römerstrasse) shows the route of the via principalis. The vicus, which extended principally to the south and the east of the fort, is today densely built over. The area of the fort baths, which at the time of the Reichs-Limeskommission still lay undisturbed in open fields, is today occupied by the grounds of a school.

Geschäftsstelle der Deutschen Limeskommission  -  Am Römerkastell 1  -  D-61350 Bad Homburg v.d.H.  -  Tel. 06175-937434  -  Fax 06175-937411  - info(at)deutsche-limeskommission.de

made by PictoGraphica